A number of the grants will help arts organizations whose facilities and programs were damaged by Tropical Storm Irene.
"A quick review of the projects and services that are funded through these grant decisions reveals not only a vibrant cultural sector, but also one that is trying to make the most out of a limited resource," said Executive Director Alex Aldrich. "I'm particularly pleased that we were able to provide operating support to so many organizations. This is the most difficult money for an organization to raise, and we hope that recognizing these fine organizations with such a grant will encourage others to do the same."
They include the following:
* Dover Historical Society, East Dover - $5,495 to support improvements to venue security and climate control by installation of a new furnace, banking for flood abatement, drainage improvements, and installation of alarm and security systems
* Latchis Arts, Brattleboro - $30,000 to replace the seats in the main hall of the Latchis Theatre and provide accessible seating that meets with current ADA standards
* Putney Historical Society - $12,750 to improve first floor and bathroom accessibility and provide a safer means of second floor fire egress
* Bellows Falls - $3,120 to purchase and install fire-retardent curtains for improvements to
* Wilmington - $30,000 to make accessibility improvements to the Memorial Hall including a landscaped entrance ramp, front door access, and ADA-compliant bathrooms
* Friends of the Brattleboro Music Center - $3,300 to support programs that foster joy and understanding of music in youth and adults with diverse musical interests in the community
* The Vermont Jazz Center, Brattleboro - $2,000 to support the creation and preservation of jazz music through workshops, concerts and instruction
* Yellow Barn, Inc., Putney - $3,300 to support chamber music through summer programs, artists residencies, workshops, outreach programs, and performances
Building a Better Brattleboro - $1,340 to support the Brattleboro Literary Festival
* Friends of the Brattleboro Music Center - $2,000 to support two concerts with a chorus of Windham County public high school students and the Windham Orchestra
* Guilford Performance Lab, Inc. - $2,000 to support public engagement in the creation of a new work and culminating performance
with artist Dahlia Nayar.