BURLINGTON (AP) - The Vermont Health Department is reminding people not to pick up wild animals.

The warning comes after 11 people and several pets were recently exposed to the saliva of a baby skunk that appeared abandoned, and was rescued from the side of a road. The skunk later tested positive for rabies.

Public Health Veterinarian Robert Johnson says everyone who was exposed, including six children, underwent a series of rabies vaccinations as a preventative measure.

Johnson says wild animals are not kittens or puppies. The tendency is to want to rescue the animal, but the advice is to leave it alone.

The only way to rescue a wild animal is to make sure it is handled with gloves and placed into a box and then taken to a state wildlife rehabilitator.