The Brattleboro Fire Department received the initial call at 5:33 p.m. that heavy smoke was coming from a second floor apartment at 6 Baker Street, a three-story wood frame apartment house.
At 5:40p.m. the fire was upgraded to a second alarm, but it was declared under control at 6:08 p.m.
Firefighters were able to gain access to the second floor apartment and contain the fire to the kitchen, which was determined to be an unattended cooking appliance, according to a press release from the Brattleboro Fire Department.
All occupants were safely out of the building prior to the arrival of firefighters, but an unresponsive dog was pulled from the building and given medical aid by Rescue Inc. personnel. The dog was returned to the owner and is expected to make a full recovery.
There were no injuries to the occupants or fire personnel. Rescue Inc. treated an individual on scene for health issues unrelated to the fire.
The building was determined to be moderately damaged and the Red Cross is working with the two families who have been temporarily displaced.
In addition to the eight trucks and the 17 firefighters from the Brattleboro Fire Department, personnel from Rescue Inc., the Brattleboro Police Department, the Department of Public Works, Green Mountain Power and Brattleboro Dispatch responded to the scene. Fire Departments from Putney and Hinsdale and Chesterfield, N.H., covered Brattleboro fire stations during the fire.