PUTNEY >> A 69-year-old Putney woman will be in court on Monday, Dec. 21, to answer to charges she attempted to murder her roommate with a hammer.
According to a press release from the Vermont State Police, troopers responded at 9:15 a.m. to a home on Westminster Road after dispatch received a call from Fiona Gordon-McLeod that she had hit a 76-year-old woman with a hammer or some sort of club. Gordon-McLeod told dispatch that the woman was unresponsive. Upon arrival, troopers and members from the Putney Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Inc. found the victim to be severely injured. She was transported to Brattleboro Memorial Hospital by ambulance and later transferred via medical helicopter to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H.
When troopers arrived, Gordon-McLeod was still on scene. She was arrested and transported to the Brattleboro Barracks where she was cited with attempted first-degree murder. She was held for lack of $50,000 cash bail and lodged at SSCF-Springfield. She will be arraigned on Monday at 12:30 p.m. in Windham Superior Court, Criminal Division.
• The Windham County Sheriff's Office arrested Zachary Senecal, 24, of Adams, Mass., and cited him with violating the conditions of his release and for failing to appear in court.
• The Windham County Sheriff's Office arrested Harold A. Layne, 46, of White River Junction, and cited him with violating the conditions of his release and failing to appear in court.
• The Hinsdale, N.H., Police Department arrested Kristopher Parsons, 48, of Brattleboro, and cited him with failing to register as an offender against a child.
• The Hinsdale, N.H., Police Department arrested David Roebuck, of Winchester, N.H., after he attempted to elude an officer who tried to stop him for a motor vehicle infraction. Roebuck lost control of his vehicle and crashed near the T-Bird Gas Station on Route 119. He was cited with disobeying a police officer and reckless operation.
On December 17, 2015, Cheri Lacount od Hinsdale was arrested for domestic assault and criminal restraint. She was held in-lieu of $5000 cash bail.
At 1:10 a.m., the East Dorset Fire Department responded to 127 Birchstone Lane for a structure fire. Upon arrival crews found a fully involved single story home with a walk out basement. An aggressive exterior attack was conducted and the fire was quickly brought under control. The fire was called in by a neighbor who was asleep on the couch and on their way to their bed they could see a glow through the curtains. No one was home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported. East Dorset Fire Department received support from departments in Dorset, Manchester and Danby and Manchester Rescue. Damages are estimated to be around $200,000. The East Dorset Fire Chief requested assistance in investigating the origin and cause of the fire from The Department of Public Safety Fire Investigation Unit. Two investigators from the unit responded to the scene and conducted an investigation. The fire is listed as undetermined but not considered suspicious at this time. Anyone with information regarding this fire is asked to call the Division of Fire safety 802-786-0071.
• The Hinsdale, N.H., Police Department arrested Cheri Lacount, of Hinsdale, and cited her with domestic assault and criminal restraint.
• The Vermont State Police is investigating the theft of a campaign sign from the lawn of a home on Pleasant Street in Saxtons River. Anyone who might have information is urged to call the State Police at 802-875-2112.