BRATTLEBORO — About 54 people at Thompson House on Maple Street were evacuated Wednesday around 4:15 p.m.

"There was a fire in the laundry room. The fire was contained to that room," said Peter Lynch, assistant chief of the Brattleboro Fire Department. "We're removing smoke and making sure it's safe to come back in."

The Maple Street facility is a rehabilitation and nursing home in Brattleboro. Residents were in wheelchairs and sitting on benches out front while firefighters reviewed the inside of the building.

At about 5 p.m., Lynch said everybody was in "perfect health right now," including first responders.

Due to the time of day, Lynch said, residents were being taken to a safe place until the site was cleared for occupancy. He noted the Thompson House and emergency responders' assistance in the matter, calling it "calm and orderly."

At the scene with the fire department were Brattleboro Police Department, Keene, N.H., Fire Department and Rescue Inc.

Call Chris Mays at 802-254-2311, ext. 273.


(Kristopher Radder Reformer Staff)