Jared Bristol, chief of the Guilford Volunteer Fire Department, said his station received a call of a fire around 1 p.m. and a member of his crew on scene before the rest of the department arrived immediately upgraded the blaze from one alarm to two. Bristol said it appears a chimney fire extended into the attic and it took roughly one hour to get it under control.
The fire chief told the Reformer the first floor had water and smoke damage from firefighters' efforts to douse the blaze on the second floor. He said the fire called for one crew on each floor and an external crew. He also said the family -- the Jobins -- cannot stay in the home for a while, but did not know how long.
"A lot of repairs need to be made," he said at the scene, while some of the Jobins' dogs barked in the background. "It was up in the crawlspaces and stuff, which we had to gain excess to, and all that needs to be repaired before they can get back in there."
SLIDESHOW: Take a closer look at the scene of the fire, here.Roger Jobin, who lives in the house with his wife, Terry, and five children, said he was in Brattleboro when the fire started, but someone driving by noticed it and alerted the family.
"Whoever it was that was driving by had already called 911," he said. Terry Jobin declined to name the person that knocked on her door to inform her of the flames.
Firefighters on the second floor removed charred remains from the house and tossing them onto the ground. Before the fire was under control, crews had to deal with a heavy flurry of snow that fell upon Sweet Pond Road. The scent of burned wood and materials lingered in the air, but was not overwhelming, and members of the family could be seen talking to one another and trying to stay warm in the brisk weather.
The fire departments of Brattleboro, Vernon, Putney, Dummerston, and Bernardston, Mass., and Rescue Ince. were also at the scene.
Domenic Poli can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 802-254-2311, ext. 277. You can follow him on Twitter @dpoli_reformer.