This Townshend home was destroyed by an early morning explosion. (Chief Phil Tirrell, Fire Mutual Aid)
This Townshend home was destroyed by an early morning explosion. (Chief Phil Tirrell, Fire Mutual Aid)
TOWNSHEND -- State fire officials said prior to a Townshend home exploding, the owner had been experiencing the smell of propane

However, stated Vermont State Police Det. Sgt. Matt Nally, the explosion is not considered suspicious.

No one was in the home at the time of the explosion.

At just before 3 a.m. on Wednesday, a 911 caller reported a house explosion in Townshend.

The Townshend Fire Department was immediately dispatched to 58 Grafton Road.

The fire department requested mutual aid from Newbrook, Jamica, Wardsboro, Grafton, Williamsville, and Dummerston Fire Departments. Also at the scene standing by was Recue Inc.

The fire department found no fire at the time of their arrival however the house was off its foundation.

Portions of the house were found over 200 hundred feet away.

Rt. 30 was closed for several hours.

The Townshend Fire Chief; Doug Winot contacted the Vermont State Police Fire Unit and requested a fire investigation.

Nally and an investigator from the Division of Fire Safety were dispatched to the scene.

There were no reported injuries however it is believed that two cats perished in the blast and the home is considered a total loss.

Also damaged was the neighboring building, West Village Family Dental. A structural analysis will be conducted prior to the reopening of the dental office.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Detective Sergeant Matt Nally at 802-229-9191


Advertisement