The Vermont Telecommunications Authority has approved a grant to VTel Wireless, an affiliate of Vermont Telephone based in Springfield.
VTEL Wireless will be starting its own retail cellular service, with roaming agreements will national carriers.
Gov. Peter Shumlin said Friday that the investment in cellular equipment through VTel Wireless will fill in some of the most challenging gaps in southern Vermont.
Service will improve on:
- Andover Road between Andover and Weston;
- Route 7 in Pownal;
- Route 9 in Marlboro and Wilmington;
- Route 100 and 100a in Plymouth;
- Route 100 in Wardsboro;
- Route 103 in Mount Holly; and
- Route 133 from Pawlet to Middletown Springs.