A fire destroyed a home at 149 Covey Rd., in Brattleboro late Wednesday night.Firefighters from Brattleboro, Guilford, Putney, Hinsdale, N.H., Dummerston,
A fire destroyed a home at 149 Covey Rd., in Brattleboro late Wednesday night. Firefighters from Brattleboro, Guilford, Putney, Hinsdale, N.H., Dummerston, Chesterfield, N.H., and Keene, N.H., were on the scene as well as Rescue Inc, Brattleboro Police and the Brattleboro Public Works. (Zachary P. Stephens/Reformer) (Zachary P. Stephens)
BRATTLEBORO - A fire on Wednesday night kept firefighters at the scene from 9:40 p.m. until the last unit left at 6 a.m..

Fire Chief Michael Bucossi told the Reformer that there is not a known cause as of Thursday afternoon.

"We know an area of origin," he said. "But because of damage, it's going to be too hard to narrow down the exact cause."

Two people had been living in the mobile home with built-on additions where the fire took place, but both husband and wife were not there at the time of the fire.

They were just getting home, when the fire had been reported to Brattleboro Fire Department.

"They discovered the fire when they came home," said Chief Bucossi.

Town fire departments that aided in the incident included Putney Fire Department, Greenfield Fire Department and Dummerston Fire Department. Tankers that had been brought to the scene included tankers from Guilford, Putney, Hinsdale, Dummerston and Chesterfield. There had been an engine from Keene. Other organizations present included Rescue Inc., Brattleboro Police and Brattleboro Police Works.

The cold temperatures kept firefighters monitoring the weather throughout the fire to keep everyone safe by rotating members of the different departments.

Temperatures fell to between -3 degree and -10 degrees.

"Because of the cold and the conditions, there's no better way to describe it than brutal," said Chief Bucossi.


Advertisement

"We try to get the firefighters in a warm area for a little while and make work periods short if we can. It's really a difficult situation."

One small dog died in the fire. Its breed is unknown at this time.

The couple who owned the mobile home are currently staying with friends.

"I say it a lot but our best advice is to use common sense. We do live in New England and the winters get harsh, the weather gets harsh. You just got to be prepared," said Chief Bucossi. "You should get your heating appliances serviced on a regular basis and if you use alternative heat sources, make sure they are installed and vented properly by certified people.