WILMINGTON — A fire forced two residents and their pets from their home Saturday night.
"They had a number of relatives right in the area," Wilmington Assistant Fire Chief Richard Covey told the Reformer on Sunday. "I think there were two dogs. Everybody was out safely when we got there."
The American Red Cross issued a press release saying there had been a house fire on Parsons Road in Wilmington on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. Covey estimated that the fire was out within an hour.
One Wilmington firefighter suffered from heat exhaustion at the scene.
"He was transported to the Bennington hospital," Covey said. "We called there last night and he was fine. All the tests came back negative. I'm pretty sure he was going to be released last night."
Covey said the garage was a total loss. He was unsure whether the house, which had "a lot of smoke and heat damage," would also be considered a total loss. The garage was attached to the home. The two occupants were the owners.
The Whitingham Fire Department showed up first.
"Whitingham put the first water on the fire. They're closer," Covey said. "It's maybe 500 feet over the Whitingham line into Wilmington."
Other departments assisting at the scene came from West Dover and Halifax. Deerfield Valley Rescue also responded while Marlboro covered Wilmington.
Volunteers with the Red Cross Disaster Action Team had met with the residents and "ensured everyone had a safe place to sleep," the organization's press release stated. Clothing and other essentials also were provided.
The fire was not considered suspicious.
"It's still under investigation," Covey said. "We don't know what the cause was. By the looks of the fire, I would say it started in the garage area somewhere."
Call Chris Mays at 802-254-2311, ext. 273.