HINSDALE, N.H. -- Doug Martin said he had just walked upstairs from his basement after putting the family’s laundry in the dryer when his son said he smelled smoke.
A few minutes later the home’s smoke detectors went off, sending Martin rushing back to the basement.
"I was just down there and came up because we were thinking about going to a football game in Bellows Falls," he said. "I’m glad we didn’t."
When Martin got back downstairs, shortly before noon on Saturday, the dryer was on fire and flames were crawling out of the machine. He said smoke had also filled most of the room.
Neighbors, seeing the smoke billowing from the home, rushed over with fire extinguishers to keep the flames as contained as possible.
Shortly after someone called 911, 20 members of the Hinsdale and Brattleboro, Vt., fire departments were dispatched to the scene and began attacking the flames before they could spread.
Martin said it was because of them that the damage was kept to a minimum.
Hinsdale Fire Chief Jay Matuszewski said he was pleased with how quickly the emergency crews arrived.
"We had a good response time and were able to save the house from potential real damage," he said.
Martin said he was extremely grateful for all the emergency crews that helped out.
Matuszewski said flames had burned two walls and destroyed the dryer and washing machine but were held in check and didn’t
He estimated the damage at roughly $20,000.
Rescue Inc., and officers from the Hinsdale Police Department were also called to the scene.
Josh Stilts can be reached at email@example.com, or 802-254-2311 ext. 273.