NEWFANE -- A key vote on purchasing a storm-damaged property will have to wait as another storm approaches.
The threat of high winds and heavy rains from Hurricane Sandy forced Newfane officials on Monday to postpone a special town meeting that had been scheduled for this evening.
The session now is slated for 6 p.m. Nov. 8 at NewBrook fire station on Route 30.
"It wouldn’t be fair to have the meeting on a day when the whole northeast is under threat from a hurricane," said Jon Mack, Newfane Selectboard chairman.
The Selectboard is seeking permission to spend up to $190,000 to purchase a property left isolated when Tropical Storm Irene washed out Lynch Bridge in August 2011.
If the town does not have to rebuild Lynch Bridge, that could free up as much as $455,220 in federal funding that had been earmarked for replacing the span.
Town officials have asked FEMA for permission to use that cash for various town improvements including truck replacement, road rehabilitation and renovations at the town office and at Williamsville Hall.
Officials have said it’s important to keep the process moving. But Mack on Monday said it was not feasible to press ahead with today’s vote due to the possibility that many residents would not be able or willing to brave the storm’s expected high winds and heavy rain.
To fulfill legal requirements, the special meeting will be convened as advertised but
Mike Faher can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-254-2311, ext. 275.