BRATTLEBORO -- On Monday, the Brattleboro Fire Department responded to 204 Greenleaf St. for an apartment fire.
The Brattleboro Fire Department Investigation Team examined the scene shortly after the fire was extinguished. It determined that the cause was unattended candles or incense, or a combination, since both had been found near the origin of the fire. It had ignited nearby combustible materials.
Smoke detectors in the apartment building had provided nearby tenants with a warning and early detection, allowing them to escape the building in safety. The early detection also minimized the damage as the fire department was notified early in the incident.
In a press release from BFD Fire Chief Mike Bucossi, he noted smoke alarms save lives. Almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms, he wrote, adding that when there is a fire, smoke spreads fast and you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out.
This was the fifth fire in the past two weeks in the region.
On Feb. 3, a fire destroyed a garage in Wilmington; also on Feb. 3, the Brattleboro Fire Department extinguished a chimney fire on Fuller Drive; On Jan. 31, a fire destroyed a barn in Spofford, N.H.; on Jan. 29, a home in Jamaica was destroyed; and on Jan. 23, a fire destroyed a home on Covey road.
None of the fires were related.
The Brattleboro Fire Department recommends installing smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement. Interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home so that when one sounds, they all sound. Test alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
A photoelectric smoke alarm is generally more responsive to smoldering fires.
For any questions about smoke detectors or any other fire safety question, feel free to contact the Brattleboro Fire Department at 802-254-4831.
Chris Mays can be reached at 802-254-2311, ext. 273, or email@example.com. Follow Chris on Twitter @CMaysReformer.