WESTMINSTER -- It was business as usual for Westminster Meats on Wednesday, after a fire caused minimal damage to the roof of its docking area the previous night.
Westminster Volunteer Fire Chief Cole Streeter said his department received the emergency call at around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday and had the fire under control within an hour. There were no injuries.
Dan Mandich, the owner of Westminster Meats, told the Reformer the fire likely caused about $200 worth of damage. He said the fire department responded very quickly.
Streeter told the Reformer 20 to 25 firefighters and a Golden Cross ambulance responded to the slaughterhouse and meat-processing plant at 52 Seafood Lane. He explained that the fire started when the smoke pipe of a steam cleaner, vented through a sidewall, got overheated. The people conducting overnight cleaning called 911, the chief said.
"It was not a good installation by any means," he said.
He said his department cut open the ceiling and sidewall and opened up the roof to extinguish the flames, which he believes moved fairly slowly despite getting into the attic space.