KEENE, N.H. -- A Brattleboro man set a stolen car on fire after being chased by police through Chesterfield and into Keene on Jan. 5.

According to Keene Police Department Sgt. Jason Brown, the chase started shortly after Scott K. Brow, Jr., 36, was stopped by police at approximately 9 a.m. in Chesterfield near the Shell gas station on Route 9 just east of the U.S. Navy Seabees Bridge that crosses the Connecticut River.

"We're not sure at this time if he was the one who stole the car," said Short. "But it was reported stolen the day after Christmas in Brattleboro, and he was the one who was driving it on Sunday."

The Chesterfield Police Department stopped Brow after receiving a complaint of a vehicle being driven erratically on westbound Route 9. When Brow saw vehicles from the Brattleboro Police Department approaching the scene, he allegedly said "Game on" before pulling a U-turn and speeding off in the direction of Keene.

"That's when the pursuit began," said Short. The stolen Honda Civic Hybrid reached speeds upwards of 100 mph, he said.

The Chesterfield Police Department notified the Keene Police Department that the chase was entering its jurisdiction and police officers from Keene set up spike strips at Whitcombs Mill Road and Daniels Hill Road. Traffic was stopped to prevent any collisions that might have been caused by Brow attempting to avoid the spike strips, however Brow hit both of them, damaging at last the two front tires, said Short.

"He was practically on rims for the rest of the pursuit."

Once the wheels were reduced to their rims, speeds ranged from 15 to 45 mph, said Short.

Brow drove in the opposing lane toward the Winchester Street Rotary where he turned down Winchester Street, still driving on the wrong side of the road. He eventually made his way back on to the right side of the road and proceeded past Keene State College, through the rotary on lower Main Street and followed Marlboro Street to its dead end.

At this point, a woman got out of the car and cooperated with police, said Short, but Brow got in and out of the car, shouting at the officers on scene.

"He got out of the car quite a few times, daring us and asking us to shoot him, that we were going to have to kill him and that he was not going with us and he wasn't going to cooperate," said Short, who was one of the officers engaged in the pursuit.

Each time Brow got in and out of the vehicle it appeared he was attempting to light it on fire, said Short, but officers did not approach the vehicle out of caution he might have a weapon.

"We just kept our distance," he said.

Once the vehicle became fully engulfed, Brow exited from the car, said Short.

Police subdued him with bean bag rounds to the legs.

Once Brow was arrested, the Keene Fire Department extinguished the blaze, but Short said it appeared the car was a total loss.

On Jan. 6, Brow was brought into court and ordered held for lack of $100,000. He is currently incarcerated at the Cheshire County House of Corrections. He has been charged with disobeying an officer, reckless conduct, placing another person in danger, receiving stolen property, resisting arrest, arson and falsifying physical evidence.

The Keene Police Department was assisted by the New Hampshire State Police and officers from the Swanzey Police Department.

Bob Audette can be reached at, or at 802-254-2311, ext. 160. Follow Bob on Twitter @audette.reformer.