WESTMORELAND, N.H. -- There were no injuries caused by a two-alarm chimney fire at 1092 Route 63 on Wednesday afternoon, as the resident was able to get himself and his two granddaughters safely out of the building.
Marty Hall told the Reformer he uses wood to heat his residence and he had a small fire going to keep warm when it somehow got out of control at around 4 p.m.
"The next thing I know, that whole end of the house in on fire," he said in the bitter January weather, adding that getting his granddaughters to safety was his first priority. Around 5:30 p.m., he said the girls were at his sister's house up the road.
Firefighters from Westmoreland, Chesterfield, Keene, Walpole and Spofford, as well as Westminster, Vt., responded to the scene. Some were seen tearing away the exterior wall on the affected side of the building.
"This particular house has a double-roof in it -- a roof on top of a roof," said Westmoreland Fire Chief Harry Nelson. "So, we're digging in there because (the fire) did get into the attic a little bit and there's no way to get to the attic except from the outside."
Nelson said his department got the emergency call at around 4:30 p.m.
A portion of Route 63 was cut off from traffic because water tankers had to be brought in to supply water to the scene.
Hall, who told the Reformer he has lived in the home for at least 25 years, said the firefighters had to tear out the building's hearth. He said, however, he was just happy his granddaughters were safe.
Domenic Poli can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 802-254-2311, ext. 277. You can follow him on Twitter @dpoli_reformer.