GUILFORD -- Another Windham County family is homeless after a fire destroyed a residence in Guilford Friday night.
Emmy Bascom said she left her house at 21 Lovell Drive just before 7 p.m. to get pizza for dinner.
When she returned she saw flames rising up over the trees from Weatherhead Hollow Road as she approached her turn off.
"My first thought was if everyone got out OK," Bascom said. "I felt better when I saw my fiancé and children."
Two other adults were staying in the house.
The American Red Cross responded and the family has been put up in a motel, though Bascom said she does not know where she will go after the Red Cross aid runs out.
"We're not sure what happens next," she said. "We're trying to figure it out and are just going day to day."
Bascom said her two dogs made it out safe but four cats, a rabbit, her son's new guinea pig and two fish died in the fire.
It has been a particularly busy fire season this winter with at least four other families in Windham County losing their homes in the past few months.
Doug Bishop, director of communications for the Vermont and New Hampshire Upper Valley American Red Cross, said the organization has responded to at least 35 fires in January across the region.
Bascomb said her fiancé was working in the garage when he heard a pop in the wall and soon smelled fire.
She said a propane line was running near the electrical box in the garage and the structure quickly went up in flames.
The family spent most of Saturday trying to salvage what they could.
"There is not much left," she said. "We lost most everything."
A fund has been established at River Valley Credit Union under Shelia Wood's name.
Wood is Bascomb's sister.
Guilford Fire Chief Jared Bristol said a second alarm was called in and firefighters from Brattleboro, Putney Dummerston, Vernon as well as from Bernardston, Mass. and Hinsdale, N.H. helped out.
Bristol said firefighters were on the scene until about 1 a.m.
Bristol said the residence was a trailer with a number of additions attached, which made the fire somewhat challenging to contain.
The remote location also presented challenges in getting water up to the site, he said.
The fire was not suspicious and there will not be an investigation, Bristol said.
He said the residence was destroyed in the blaze.
"Everyone worked very hard to put it out and no one was hurt, which was a bonus," he said. "The fire was not suspicious. There was nothing out of the ordinary. It was just an unfortunate thing."
Howard Weiss-Tisman can be reached at 802-254-2311, ext. 279, or email@example.com. Follow Howard on Twitter @HowardReformer.