SOUTH LONDONDERRY -- A house fire that broke out over the weekend is under investigation, although it was not considered suspicious.
"It was an unoccupied building. No one's living there," said South Londonderry Champion Fire Company Chief George Lang.
On Sunday at 10 a.m., the fire was quickly upgraded to a second alarm at 213 Middletown Road in South Londonderry because there were concerns having to do with its location, a lack of water supply and lack of manpower for that time of day.
The top floor was fully involved when firefighters arrived at the scene. The house is considered to be a total loss. No one was injured.
"No building is worth an injury or loss of life," Lang said. "Safety first."
Although the building was believed to be unoccupied for 20 to 30 years, there was still electricity running to it. James Twitchell, who owns the building, is also a member of the fire company.
Other departments that assisted at the scene included Jamaica Fire Department, Winhall Fire Department, Peru Fire Department, Weston Fire Department, Windham Fire Department, Londonderry Phoenix Fire Department, Mount Holly Fire Department, and Londonderry Rescue Squad. Stratton Mountain Fire Company covered the South Londonderry Champion Fire Company station.
The other departments were called mostly to transport water, Lang said. It took about three hours to knock down. Firefighters left the scene around 2 p.m. There were approximately 40 firefighters at the scene.
"It takes a lot of support to do what we do," said Lang. "We did utilize one of our dry hydrants in town. Jamaica set up a water supply for us. But then again, it's a mile away."
The scene will be further investigated on Monday.
Chris Mays can be reached at 802-254-2311, ext. 273, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Chris on Twitter @CMaysReformer.