The Associated Press
Thirteen people shot in Chicago park including a 3-year-old boy in critical condition.
A Chicago Police detective collects crime scene tape from the scene where 13 people were shot in a city park on the south side of Chicago on Sept. 19. (Paul Beaty/AP)
Thirteen people were shot at a park on Chicago's southwest side Thursday night, including a 3-year-old boy who was in critical condition, in what authorities say was likely a gang-related shooting.
Julian Harris, who witnessed the shooting, told the Chicago Sun-Times that his 3-year-old nephew, Deonta "Tay-man" Howard, was shot in the face by dreadlocked men firing from a gray sedan.
"They hit the light pole next to me, but I ducked down and ran into the house," Harris told the Sun-Times. "They've been coming round here looking for people to shoot every night, just gang-banging stuff. It's what they do."
Chicago Fire Department officials told the Associated Press the child was in critical condition. Two other victims were also in critical condition. The others were reported in serious to fair condition.
Watch video from the scene:
By Maryclaire Dale, Associated Press
VILLANOVA, Pa. - A lawyer who filed the first concussion lawsuit against the NFL believes the proposed $765 million settlement will go through, and lead to payments to injured players within 18 months.
The deal could be nixed if too many ex-players opt out to sue individually.
But Philadelphia lawyer Sol Weiss, speaking at Villanova Law School on Thursday, says they would face an uphill battle in court. He thinks most will accept the deal.
"Overwhelmingly, our clients are very supportive of the settlement, very grateful. A lot of these players had a very glamorous life, they were pro athletes. (Now), they can't work. ... Their families are desperate."
Addressing criticism that the NFL, with more than $9 billion in revenues, got off lightly, he said time was of the essence for many of the families. Protracted litigation could have taken years, and left some players with nothing, if the judge threw out the case or they couldn't prove their conditions were caused by their years in the NFL.show more
By Associated Press
NEW YORK - American student Amanda Knox on Friday defended her decision not to return to Italy for a new appeals trial over the 2007 killing of her British roommate, even as she acknowledged that "everything is at stake," insisting she is innocent.
"I was already imprisoned as innocent person in Italy, and I can't reconcile the choice to go back with that experience," Knox said in an interview with Matt Lauer on NBC's "Today" show. "I just can't relive that."
Lauer asked Knox if she worried that she was handing prosecutors an admission of guilt by not attending the trial.
The Seattle native replied, "I look at it of an admission of innocence, to be quite honest."
Knox said there was no trace of her in the room where her roommate, Meredith Kercher, was found killed when both were exchange students studying in Perugia, Italy. Kercher's throat had been slashed. "It's impossible for me to have participated in this crime if there's no trace of me," Knox said.
She said school and finances also were keeping her from attending the trial, which is scheduled to begin in Florence on Sept. 30.
In March, Italy's supreme court ordered a new trial for Knox and her former Italian boyfriend. An appeals court in 2011 had acquitted both, overturning convictions by a lower court. Italian law cannot compel Knox to return for the new legal proceeding.
Knox said Friday that she still had faith in the Italian legal system.
"I believe people who really care about justice and look at this without prejudice will come to same conclusion," she said.
Still, she acknowledged that the prospect of returning to prison haunted her.
"I thought about what it would be like to live my entire life in prison and to lose everything, to lose what I've been able to come back to and rebuild," she said. "I think about it all the time. It's so scary. Everything is at stake."
By HOWARD WEISS-TISMAN / Reformer Staff
The Brattleboro Retreat (Zachary P. Stephens/Reformer file photo)
BRATTLEBORO - The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, or CMS, has accepted the Brattleboro Retreat's plan of correction.
CMS has been investigating the Retreat for violating patient rights at the hospital and the federal office's decision to accept the plan of correction paves the way for a surprise visit from regulators.
That visit will take place before the end of October.
If the Retreat is successful in proving that it is following its plan of correction then the hospital finally will be able to move beyond the recent CMS investigation.
Brattleboro Retreat Director of External Affairs Peter Albert said the hospital has been struggling to meet federal guidelines, and adequately train its staff to appropriately care for the state's most mentally ill patients since the Retreat stepped in to care for the State Hospital patients who came to the Retreat after Tropical Storm Irene forced the closure of the State Hospital in Waterbury in August 2011.
As hard as the process has been, Albert said, ultimately it has forced the Retreat to be a better hospital.show more