Utilities report about 6,800 homes and businesses remain without power late Tuesday morning. That number has fluctuated since Sunday, when a storm brought freezing rain and ice that coated tree branches and brought down power lines.
State officials are warning residents to be careful when using generators and other equipment during power outages after a man died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Red Cross opened a fourth shelter on Tuesday, in Fairfax. Red Cross shelters also are open in Highgate Springs, Enosburg Falls and Newport, and the town of Barton also has opened its own shelter.