Vermont cop: man in N.M. prison has wild story history
MONTPELIER (AP) -- The Vermont State Police’s top criminal investigator says the man in a New Mexico prison for killing a Vermont girl in 2000 has a history of making wild claims as part of a long-running goal of being incarcerated in the federal prison system.
Major Ed Ledo is the investigator who arrested Dana Martin in 2000 on charges Martin had killed a 15-year-old girl in Barre.
Ledo says he doesn’t know what allegedly motivated Martin to send two New Mexico men to kill two Vermonters by strangling them with neck ties and then mutilating their bodies.
Ledo says the two New Mexico men appeared ready to carry out the killings.
The scheme was derailed earlier this month when the two men got lost and ended up at a U.S. border post with Canada.
Ledo said Martin has a long history of claiming to have committed crimes he did not as part of a long-running effort to be incarcerated in the federal prison system. Ledo didn’t speculate as to why Martin was determined to be a federal prison inmate.
"He’s made several claims over the years that he’s either been involved with other homicides, kidnappings across state lines, that kind of thing," Ledo said "He’s threatened federal judges, he’s done anything he can as part of an effort to get into the federal prison system, that’s his ultimate goal."
Vermont copper mine site nearly fixed after cleanup
STRAFFORD (AP) -- A decade-long effort to clean up a 206-year-old copper mine in the Vermont town of Strafford is nearing an end and community members now have to decide what to do with the area that was once the Elizabeth Mine.
Where there was once an area that was colored a sickly orange there is now a grassy expanse
The Environmental Protection Agency’s Ed Hathaway, who has overseen the Superfund cleanup of the property, says workers have finished sealing 45-acres of metallic tailings beneath a plastic cap that has been covered with topsoil.
The plastic prevents water and oxygen from reaching the metals. Federal officials will continue to monitor the site for several more years. After that, the state will assume responsibility.
Sanders calls for lower gas in northwest Vt.
BURLINGTON (AP) -- Vermont’s independent U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders is calling on distributors of gasoline in northwestern Vermont to stop charging customers higher prices than are being charged in other parts of the state.
Sanders says he’s planning to call the top executives of the three largest gasoline distributors in the region this week to make the request.
Sanders says there’s no reason customers in northwestern Vermont should be paying about 25 cents a gallon more than are customers in other parts of the state.
Distributor R.L. Vallee of St. Albans said Sanders is forgetting that Vermont has strict environmental laws.
Vermont man charged after theft from N.H. grandmother
ST. JOHNSBURY (AP) -- A Vermont man is facing charges stemming from the theft of three laptop computers and a muzzle-loading firearm from his grandmother’s New Hampshire home on Thanksgiving Day.
St. Johnsbury police say 18-year-old Richard Kendall and his 22-year-old half-brother, Claude Caron Jr., stole the items from Kendell’s grandmother’s house in Center Barnstead, N.H.
The two men pleaded not guilty in a St. Johnsbury court to felony charges of possession of stolen property. They were released.
Court documents say Kendall told police he and Caron went to his grandmother’s home on Thanksgiving night looking for gas money and found everyone asleep.
Kendall told police the laptops were in view and the muzzleloader was in an unlocked vehicle in the driveway.
4 juveniles charged with bomb threats in Barre school
BARRE (AP) -- Police in Barre say four juveniles are facing charges stemming from two false bomb threats at the Vermont city’s Spaulding High School.
Police say there have been three bomb treats at Spaulding since Nov. 20.
In each case the threat was reported after a note was found in a common area of the school. In each case the school was searched but nothing unusual was found.
On Tuesday police and school officials identified the four juveniles and cited them into court on charges of "causing false public alarm" stemming from the first two threats. The origin of the Tuesday threat remains under investigation.