MARLBORO -- Local potter Matthew Tell is one of two Vermont artists being honored as part of the Vermont Crafts Council’s Spring Open Studio Weekend on Saturday and Sunday.
Tell and Jericho artist Dianne Shullenberger are being recognized for participating on the tour for 20 years.
This weekend, Tell and Shullenberger will be among 239 artists and craftspeople who will open their studios to visitors for this annual event. Bright yellow signs are placed along Vermont’s roads to mark the way to the studios. The tour features the work of glassblowers, jewelers, printmakers, potters, furniture makers, weavers, ironworkers, painters, sculptors, quilt makers and wood carvers.
It will be easy for travelers to southern Vermont to see a large number of studios during the Open Studio tour this spring. There are 12 studios near Brattleboro, another 15 studios in the Wilmington/Whitingham area, and other clusters in the Townshend, Bellows Falls and Chester regions. Vermont Artisan Designs and Gallery in Brattleboro serves as the information center for this region.
Twenty-year Open Studio participant Matthew Tell is a potter in Marlboro, whose studio is on a dirt road off of Route 9. It’s a place of astonishing beauty that looks out over Sunset Lake. Tell jokes that his studio is "out in the middle of nowhere" and that one of the first questions he gets from visitors is "How do you get out of here in the winter?" Even though his road is dirt, it is well maintained, and to help visitors he places "signs of encouragement" along the way, telling them to "Keep Going" and "Not Too Far Now."
The free Open Studio guide contains maps and directions to studios and studio addresses that can be entered into GPS systems. The maps, along with the yellow signs placed along the roads, ensure that visitors will easily find the studios. The Open Studio guide is available throughout the state at Vermont Welcome Centers, galleries and studios, at vermontcrafts.com or by calling 802-223-3380.
The Vermont Crafts Council is a non-profit organization serving the Vermont visual arts community.
Area artists and craftspeople participating include:
* Mountain Painters and Artisans Mountain Painters and Artisans, 12 artists, Murals, watercolors, photography, folk art. Mountain Marketplace, 5700 Rte 100, Londonderry, 802-824-6555.
* Flying Canvas Studio -- Jeanette Staley. Prints, paintings, floorcloths, murals, collage. 201 Church Ave, Bellows Falls, 802-463-9530.
* Sherwin Art Glass -- Christopher Sherwin. Unique collectible, handsculpted, blown glass. 33 Bridge St, Bellows Falls, 802-376-5744.
* Dunberry Hill Designs -- Cameron Howard. Traditional handcrafted floorcloths. 92 Winslow Drive, West Townshend, 802-874-7288.
* Kim Eng Yeo -- Floral, still life and landscape watercolors, 628 Peaked Mountain Road, Townshend, 802-365-4521.
* Robert DuGrenier Associates, Inc. -- Robert Du Grenier. Handblown, contemporary, and hand painted glass. 1096 Rte 30, Townshend, 802-365-4400.
* Vermont Artisan Designs & Gallery 2Distinct, unique, eclectic Vermont crafts, 106 Main St, Brattleboro, 802-257-7044.
* Adrienne Ginter -- Intricate, handcut paper, paintings, and hand-made jewelry. 28 Williams St., Brattleboro, 603-630-3709.
* Laughing Lizard Studio -- Jen Wiechers. Colorful paintings, mosaics, jewelry, demos. 25 Highlawn Road, Brattleboro, 802-258-8054.
* Stephen Procter Ceramics -- Stephen Procter. Monumental stoneware vessels, gifts, tableware. 76 Cotton Mill Hill, Studio C-119, Brattleboro, 802-490-4983.
* Center for Digital Art -- Michel Moyse. Projected art, video art on monitors, paintings. 81 Pleasant Valley Road, Brattleboro, 802-257-7605.
* Naomi Lindenfeld Clayworks -- Naomi Lindenfeld. Rhythmically patterned, nature-inspired, colored clay pottery. 330 Meadowbrook Road, Brattleboro, 802-258-6475.
* Orchard Street Pottery -- Walter Slowinski. Woodfired salt-glazed pottery, branch handles. 658 Orchard St., Brattleboro, 802-257-1030.
* Ron Karpius -- Metalwork and paintings, copper, brass, weathervanes. 259 Greenleaf St., Brattleboro, 802-258-2364.
* Matthew Tell Pottery -- Matthew Tell. Wood-fired pottery, with earth tones and overlays. 163 Potter’s Road, Marlboro, 802-254-8057.
* JMB Glass -- Josh and Marta Bernbaum. Functional and decorative handmade glass. 119 Hescock Road, Brattleboro, 610-812-3434.
* Chris Lann Designs -- Chris Lann. Contemporary handcrafted fine sterling jewelry. 1420 Sunset Lake Road, Brattleboro, 802-254-0383.
* Jason E. Breen, Fine and Custom Woodwork -- Jason Breen. Furniture, turnings, woodenware, accessories, cabinetry. 1197 Bonnyvale Road, Brattleboro, 802-257-9993.
* Applewood’s Woodworking Studio and Gallery -- David and Michelle Holzapfel. Tables, benches, burls and spalted wood. 2802 Route 9, Marlboro, 802-254-2908.
* The Art of Humor Gallery -- Skip Morrow. Seriously funny fine art gallery. 30 Not-A Road, Wilmington, 802-464-5523.
* Nicki Steel Photography -- Nicki Steel. Landscapes, flowers, farm animals, notecards, hearts in nature. 117 White’s Road, Wilmington, 802-464-5277.
* Anne Kantor Kellett -- Anne Kantor Kellett. Sculpture, paintings, photography, pastels, craft. 7 N. Main St., Wilmington, 917-902-1614.
* Stonepuddles -- Frank Sprague. Garden art, birdbaths, benches, metals. 22 Stowe Hill Road, Wilmington, 802-380-4398.
* Green Mountain Pressed Flowers -- Ellie Roden. Pressed flower creations; originals, prints, cards and bookmarks. 32 Ray Hill Road, Wilmington, 802-464-5265.
* Eric Sprenger Fine Woodwork -- Eric Sprenger. Handmade, original, contemporary furniture. 72 Castle Hill Road, Wilmington, 802-464-8392.
* Irma Hawkins -- Representational painted metal sculptures. 215 Castle Hill Road, Wilmington, 802-464-4602.
* Jen Violette -- Jennifer Violette. Sculptural hand blown glass, paintings. 12 New England Power Road, Wilmington, 802-464-5206.
* Gallery Wright -- Mary Wright. Charcoals, oils, woodblocks, monoprints, landscapes. 103 Main St., Wilmington, 802-464-9922.
* Bobbi Angell Botanical Illustration -- Bobbi Angell. Botanical copper etchings, original prints, 802-348-6336. She will printing at Gallery Wright in Wilmington.
* Mary Procter, Bill Matuszeski Husband and wife team, local landscape paintings. 488 Faulkner Road, Whitingham, 802-368-7750.
* Handmade at the Academy -- Carol Mandracchia. Handmade textile creations, quilts, yarns, 117 Academy Road, Jacksonville, 802-368-2658.
* Town Hill Pottery -- Aysha Peltz and Todd Wahlstrom. Wheel-thrown porcelain and stoneware pottery, 612 Town Hill Road, Whitingham, 802-368-2807.
* Readsboro Glassworks -- Readsboro Glassworks. Handblown glass and glass sculpture. 6954 Main St., Readsboro, 802-423-7706. T
* Corner House Creations Garden and Gallery -- Jane May Jones. Watercolors of architectural and garden elements. 1693 Branch Hill Road, Readsboro, 802-423-5095.