PUTNEY -- Twilight Music begins its 12th annual Twilight On The Tavern Lawn series of folk, world beat, rock, jazz, zydeco, Celtic, swing, blues and bluegrass summer concerts on Sunday with Simba.
The seven-concert series continues every other Sunday through Aug. 24. All concerts begin at 6 p.m., on the Putney Tavern lawn (bring a lawn chair or blanket) or at Next Stage at 15 Kimball Hill in case of rain.
The series is sponsored by the Town of Putney, Soundview Paper Company, Next Stage Arts Project, The Stockwell Brothers and many other Putney businesses and organizations. The concerts are free to the public (donations are accepted), and food will be available. For more information, call 802-387-5772 or visit www.twilightmusic.org.
Simba features blazing horns and scorching percussion on a highly danceable mix of funk, Latin, reggae, world beat, soca calypso, ska, jazz and blues. The eight-member band has been together 25 years and includes Charlie Schneeweis, Wim Auer, Steve Sonntag, Derrik Jordan, Dan DeWalt, Johnny Yuma, Steve Leicach and Bob Stabach. Simba has released one CD, a self titled collection of original songs and grooves created to make you dance. Simba is dedicated to Peace, Love and Unity for our community and world.
* Sunday, June 15: Kat Wright and Brett Hughes -- Americana music quartet featuring soaring vocal harmonies evoking timeless mountain traditions and bluesy soul The 2014 Twilight on the Tavern Lawn concert series schedule is:
* Sunday, June 29: The Chris Kleeman Band -- ard driving, house rocking, in your face blues
* Sunday, July 13: Beacoup Blue -- Americana and acoustic blues music by the Philadelphia-based father and son team of David and Adrian Mowry
* Sunday, July 27: Planet Zydeco -- High-energy accordion/guitar-driven dance music of Louisiana
* Sunday, Aug. 10: The Stockwell Brothers -- Down home newgrass meets modern folk meets world beat with brothers Bruce, Barry and Alan.
* Sunday, Aug. 24: The Snaz -- Original, indie rock band featuring four Vermont teenagers.