1. KURDISH IRAQIS ADVANCE STRONGLY IN IS-HELD TOWN
Iraqi Kurdish militia fighters battling to take back Sinjar from Islamic State militants reach the town center, though officials caution it is too soon to declare victory in the strategic community.
2. THE MACABRE FASCINATION WITH 'JIHADI JOHN'
The Islamic State militant, targeted in a U.S. drone strike with fate unknown, horrified the world with his atrocities, but also served as a recruiting tool for those drawn to extremism.
3. SUU KYI'S PARTY SECURES HISTORIC MAJORITY IN MYANMAR
The victory makes it possible for them to form the Southeast Asian country's first truly civilian government in more than half-a-century.
4. MISSOURI ENLISTS FORMER PROTESTER TO LEAD UNIVERSITY
As an undergraduate in the 1960s, Mike Middleton was a founder of the Legion of Black Collegians, an activist student group instrumental in this week's resignation of the university's president.
5. TRUMP INCREASES HARSH RHETORIC
The billionaire real estate mogul equates rival Ben Carson's childhood "pathological temper" to the illness of a child molester, questions Carson's religious awakening and berates his supporters.
6. MIGRANT CRISIS WEIGHS ON MERKEL
The German chancellor's signature phrase — "We will manage it" — is wearing thin at home, bringing rare open criticism from her own conservative bloc.
7. WHAT IS FACT, WHAT IS FICTION
For presidential candidates, a compelling personal history is an essential item in the campaign tool kit. That's not to say they tell the story straight.
8. SEXTING LATEST EMBARRASSMENT FOR SECRET SERVICE
The arrest of a uniformed officer on charges of trying to solicit a teenage girl for sex and sending obscene images and texts online is the latest blunder for the agency.
9. POLICE DOG DEFIES BREED'S SAVAGE STEREOTYPES
Usually the domain of German shepherds and Belgian Malinois, Kiah will be one of just a few pit bulls to serve in the K9 unit.
10. REX RYAN'S RETURN TO MEADOWLANDS A SUCCESS
Buffalo's defense shuts down the head coach's former team for most of the game, and the Bills score on offense and special teams in a 22-17 victory over the New York Jets.