BRATTLEBORO -- Student Art Month 2011, currently featuring two shows of high school art at the Robert H. Gibson River Garden, 157 Main St. for two-dimensional work, and at Vermont Artisans & Gallery 2, 106-110 Main St., for three-dimensional work, will close on March 30.
The show features work from nine public and private high schools and is sponsored by the Arts Council of Windham County with support from Brattleboro Savings & Loan Association, Clear Solutions, C&S Print Shop and Zephyr Designs.
Work in nine categories of art received Best in Show Awards, and 38 works were selected for Special Commendation.
Judges were watercolor artist, Wendy Innis and photographer Lucia Wilson, with help from violin maker Doug Cox.
The Best in Show awards are:
* Brattleboro Union High School student Hannah Earley for pastel drawing and BUHS student Jonah Nigro for mixed media.
* Bellows Falls High School student Kristi Rumrill received Best in Show award for painting.
* Insight Photography Project student Sam Grubinger received Best in Show for photography.
* The Putney School took Best in Show honors in four categories: Pottery -- Miles Hume; Drawing -- Yun Ah Kim and Sophie Cooper-Ellis (tied); Fiber Arts -- Lily Bell and Sylvia Graubard (tied); Sculpture -- Marley Reed.
* Twin Valley High School student Shannon Lozito for jewelry.
These student artists received $25 gift certificates for art supplies at Zephyr Designs.
Special Commendation Awards were presented to students at each school as follows: Austine School -- Taijuan Minor and Caleb Wimble; Brattleboro Union High School -- Hannah Earley, Cassie Anderson, Wyatt Kail, Emma Strauss, Kalie Walsh, Lindsay Mitnik and Elizabeth Benton; Bellows Falls High School -- Denise Kingsbury, Rachel Hollar, Frank Furgat and Meghan Hilow; The Compass School -- Kailey Rinder, Chris Diak, Connor Kloster, Mina Karmen and Jill Murphy; Insight Photography Project -- Group Photo, Martina R., Margaret W. and Sam G.; Leland & Gray High School -- Emily Misnick, Sean Kiziltan, Keira Capponcelli, Aurora Calchera; The Putney School -- Takamari Konuma, Alec Ray, Paige Del, Dong Yeol Jang; Twin Valley High School -- Zebulon Shippee, Jennifer Wyatt, Tony Bernard; Vermont Academy -- Sophie Lee, Madison Cota, Emmanuel Avila, Zerong Jin and Kaitlin Terry.
Student Art Month also includes an Art Exhibit at Brooks Memorial Library which features art from homeschoolers and public school students from 16 Windham County elementary schools, studios and specially funded art projects. The show will close on Saturday.
To learn more about Student Art Month oe to volunteer, visit the Arts Council of Windham County’s website at www.acwc.us or call Marie Procter at 802-254-2115.