BRATTLEBORO -- The fifth annual Pliny Park Concert Series runs every Friday, from June 29 to Aug. 31, from 6 to 9 p.m., in downtown Brattleboro. Concerts are free. The schedule is:
* June 29 -- Addison Rice is a singer/songwriter with a unique, eclectic musical style. A student of poets such as Bob Dylan and Kahlil Gibran, Rice is a modern-day minstrel.
* July 6 -- Spike Dogtooth has been playing diverse acoustic music in the area for more than 15 years. Armed with banjos, fiddles, guitars, mandolins and percussion, they jump from bluegrass to Bob Marley or traditional Irish to the Ramones. Spike Dogtooth also performs original tunes that really rock the boat.
* July 13 -- Michael Orlen. A singer songwriter with roots in the Boston music scene of the late-’60s and early ‘70s, he performed alone and later as a member of folk pop duo Orlen and Gabriel, as well as the acoustic rock trio Home Free. His songs are confident expressions of optimism with a dose of irony thrown in. He also draws on folk, blues, and ragtime music to choose songs that resonate in today’s world. Bruce King plays an eclectic mix of contemporary blues and folk, influenced by Dan Hicks, John Hammond, Bob Dylan, and Phil Ochs. He’s performed with Evelyn Harris, Eva Cappelli, Eric Lee and Peggy Seeger. On Wednesday nights, he co-hosts the Open Mic at PACE in Easthampton, Mass.
* July 27 -- The Michaels (Hertz & Mario). Veteran fingerpicker playing acoustic country blues and covering songs by blues legends Rev. Gary Davis, Blind Blake, Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Willie McTell and others, Hertz recently appeared at Roots on the River, and has played the Guilford Fair several times. "Tasty finger picking" is how Mario describes what he does.
* Aug. 3 -- Jonny Sheehan & Jennie Reichman. Reichman and Sheehan sing harmony as they play folk and country music with a smattering of other styles. Blending soprano and baritone voices with acoustic and electric guitars, they perform songs by Emmylou Harris, Waren Zevon, Lyle Lovett, Salamander Crossing and others.
* Aug. 10 -- No Grounds. Originating from Hinsdale, N.H., this is an alternative duo which plays a variety of music, from classic rock to country to originals from their two albums. Guitarist Zachariah Ash-Bristol and vocalist Michael Copeland will play songs that everyone knows and some of their own creations. Visit nogroundsonline.com.
* Aug. 17 -- Intonition is singer/songwriter/guitarist Danyelle Devino and guitarist/songwriter Chris Dixon at the core of a 4-piece band. For the Pliny Park performance they will play as an acoustic duo, performing songs from their first CD "In Good Company," new material from their recently completed second album, and a few tributes to other favorite artists from Joni to Jimi. Their sound runs the gamut from folk to blues to soul...but always with a funky rock n roll energy.
* Aug. 24 -- Shelving Rock. Old time meets new time meets now. Stephen Iachetta, (fiddle, mandolin, claw-hammer banjo) and T. Breeze Verdant, (vocals, guitar, stomp-box drum, songwriter) play timeless music with a message for today.
* Aug. 31 -- The Outlandish Landsharks. T. Frederick Jones and his two daughters, Lillian and Francie. Come on down for the family reunion and enjoy originals and harmonies.