Air Force admits error on F-35 support

Posted
Wednesday June 12, 2013

MONTPELIER (AP) -- The U.S. Air Force is admitting giving out wrong information on public support for basing the F-35 fighter jet in Burlington.

In a revised draft environmental impact statement, the Air Force said last month it had received 913 public comments on the proposal to base up to 24 of the next-generation fighter jets at the Burlington International Airport, and that 80 percent of them were in support, with 20 percent opposed.

The Air Force now says it got those numbers wrong, and that public comments actually ran 65 percent against basing the F-35 in Burlington, with 35 percent in favor.

An Air Force civilian project manager, Nicholas Germanos, says the error was found before the revised report was issued and was supposed to be fixed, but was not.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions