All's well: Police report quiet, rainy Halloween

BRATTLEBORO - Other than several acts of vandalism in Vernon, Windham County had a relatively safe and quiet Halloween, according to area law enforcement officers.

In Bellows Falls, the only problem police encountered was people driving too fast during a rain storm in places where there were many trick-or-treaters.

"It was pouring rain, poor visibility, and a lot of kids were wearing dark clothes," said Bellows Falls Police Officer Michael Keefe.

Keefe said that Atkinson Street was the biggest trouble spot.

"We took action and put cruisers where a lot of pedestrians were crossing to assist and help keep the people safe," he said. "Once we put patrol cars out, people slowed down."

In Vernon, numerous town signs along Pond Road, Washburn Way, Crestwood Estates and Central Park Road were spray painted, onwhat is commonly known as "Cabbage Night," the day before Halloween.

The Windham County Sheriff's Department said it happened early Saturday morning between 1 and 5 a.m. and is asking anyone with information to contact Deputy Horion of the Windham County Sheriff's Department at 802-365-4942.

In Hinsdale, N.H., where local police instituted a Halloween and Cabbage Night curfew that requires people under the age of 17 to be accompanied by an adult after 8 p.m., there was no Halloween-related crime, said Hinsdale Police Officer Royce Pelkey.

The town normally has a 10 p.m. curfew on weekdays and 10:30 p.m. on weekends and started the early Halloween curfew just last year.

"The juvenille criminal mischief and incidents have dropped as a result," Pelkey said.

Parents of minors who are found walking the streets past curfew are notified by the police. The second time a minor violates the curfew, he or she may receive a fine.

"It's a good deterrent," said Pelkey.

One adult found himself in trouble with the police after he allegedly slid his vehicle into a telephone pole, snapping it in half.

According to Pelkey, Peter Tandy of Keene was traveling eastbound on Main Street in Hinsdale when he lost control of the vehicle. He was not seriously injured, and was cited to appear in court Dec. 10 for driving while intoxicated after his blood alcohol level was found to be .14 percent.

The street was shut down for several hours while Verizon, Comcast and the Public Service of New Hampshire worked to restore the lines. No residents lost power during the incident.

Jaime Cone can be reached at or 802-254-2311, ext. 277.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions