Brattleboro Bridge Replacement Project Update: Week of June 29
Important traffic information related the the I-91 Brattleboro bridge replacement project:
Northbound I-91 traffic has been relocated onto the southbound bridge. Traffic will remain reduced to one lane in each direction on I-91 until completion of the new bridge.
The speed limit on Route 30 near the work zone has been reduced to 40 mph. This reduction will remain in effect through the Spring of 2016. Project-related truck activity on Route 30 will continue. Route 30 will be reduced to a single lane intermittently both day and night, with flaggers regulating traffic within the work zone.
Night work on the new bridge columns will continue Monday night, June 30 through Wednesday night, July 2.
Upper Dummerston Road CLOSURE
Demolition work on the I-91 Bridge over Upper Dummerston Road will begin at 7:00 AM Monday, June 30th and will be completed Wednesday, July 2nd. Upper Dummerston road will only be closed during the day from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM and will be reopened at night. We do not anticipate any night work during the closure.
West River Trail
The West River Trail is now open. There are intersections between construction access and the trail path, and users should exercise extreme caution at these intersections. As an additional safety precaution, users of the West River Trail are reminded to keep pets on a leash in this area.
The northbound bridge over the West River has been removed. No impacts to recreational boaters are anticipated for the week of June 29th.
- The northbound structures have been entirely demolished.
- The new Bridge 9 Pier 1 foundations are complete, Pier 2 foundations are nearing completion.
- The Bridge 9 arched columns at Pier 1 adjacent to VT RT30 are currently being constructed and are scheduled for completion this summer. The Pier 2 arched columns will be constructed this summer into fall.
- The Bridge 9 superstructure construction will begin at the end of the summer and continue for the next two years.
- The new roadway alignment construction began last month. This work will be performed during the 2014 and 2015 non-winter seasons.
- Abutment work for the new Bridge 8 over Upper Dummerston Road will begin this summer.
We will continue to hold monthly trail talks for the community. We had a great turnout for the June 14th talk and are looking forward to our next talk tentatively scheduled for July 12th.
Please focus on safety when driving through the construction work zone and remember, it is now against the law to use a hand-held cell phone in construction work zones.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.