Brattleboro man charged with sex assault

Wednesday May 1, 2013

BRATTLEBORO -- A Brattleboro man is being held without bail after police said he beat and sexually assaulted a woman Friday, then refused to leave her apartment for several hours.

Gary C. Stroud, 49, of Canal Street, faces eight charges including four felonies -- sexual assault, unlawful trespass and first-degree and second-degree aggravated domestic assault.

The sexual assault charge carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

Brattleboro police said they received a report Friday evening that a woman had been beaten and raped. The Reformer does not identify victims of sexual assault.

The victim told investigators that Stroud had entered her residence -- from which he had been barred by a no-trespass order -- between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Friday.

The woman grabbed her cordless phone to call 911, but Stroud scuffled with her, took the phone "and hit her on the head with it four or five times, breaking the phone," police wrote in a court affidavit.

Stroud then sexually assaulted the woman and "wouldn’t leave, even after he stopped assaulting her," police said.

According to the affidavit, the victim at one point told Stroud: "I’m leaving. I don’t care if I’m leaving dead or alive. You can kill me if you want to." Stroud departed but quickly returned, "beating on my door, and shook it until it opened," the victim told police.

The woman said Stroud finally left at about 4:20 p.m. She notified police and was treated at Brattleboro Memorial Hospital.

Investigators said Stroud, in an interview at Brattleboro police station, acknowledged the sexual contact but said he and the woman "made love" on a couch.

He also claimed the woman "had threatened to ‘set him up,’ meaning get him in trouble with the police," the affidavit says.

Police noted that, in 2006, Stroud had been convicted of violating an abuse-prevention order. He was sentenced to three to six months in jail, but that sentence was suspended and Stroud was placed on probation, court records show.

In addition to the four felony charges filed in connection with Friday’s incident, Stroud also faces misdemeanor charges of interference with access to emergency services, stalking and two counts of domestic assault.

He was arraigned Monday and was ordered held without bail pending further court action.

Mike Faher can be reached at or 802-254-2311, ext. 275.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions