'Christmas in July' to benefit Kids in Coats Fund
BRATTLEBORO >> The United Way of Windham County's Kids in Coats Fund (KIC), which will provide winter gear to Windham County families this year, invites employers, faith communities, neighborhood groups, and civic organizations to create "Christmas in July" events to raise awareness and donations for KIC. The Fund was created after the Reformer Christmas Stocking organization ceased operations in 2015 and will support income-eligible families with children aged birth through sixth grade. United Way of Windham County has set a fundraising goal of $75,000 for KIC and nearly $21,000 has already been donated.
United Way of Windham County encourages the community to support KIC in any of the following ways in July to help them help as many families as possible this fall:
• Make a text to give donation - text 'snowy' to 41444
• Leave a donation jar and KIC info in the break room or cafeteria of your workplace or community center
• Sponsor an "Ugliest Christmas Sweater" or "Tree Decorating" contest - those who participate make a donation to KIC
• Hold a giftcard/gift certificate donation drive (to anywhere where children's winter gear is sold) - all will be used to assist families
• Hold a holiday party or luncheon and invite people to bring their favorite holiday recipe - ask participants to donate what they normally spend on lunch to the Fund;
• If you sell a product/service or are a retail business, donate a percentage of your sales or ask customers to "round up" the cost of their purchase for the month of July and donate to the Fund.
Get creative! United Way of Windham County will support your efforts in any way they can - provide signage, materials, information, and/or a short presentation to your group. Let UWWC know what you are planning and then send pictures/videos and any donations from the event to their office at firstname.lastname@example.org or PO Box 617, Brattleboro, VT 05302.
If you would like to make a direct donation to Kids in Coats, please visit www.unitedwaywindham.org, text "snowy" to 41444, call 802-257-4011 or mail a check to: UWWC, PO Box 617, Brattleboro, VT 05302 with "KIC" in the memo line.
The United Way of Windham County is creating HOPE in Windham County by investing in health, opportunity, prosperity, and education initiatives. The Kids in Coats Fund is a great way to Lend HOPE a Hand. For more information, visit www.unitedwaywindham.org or call 802.257.4011.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.