Fire investigators: Kids sparked blaze at Colchester barn
COLCHESTER >> Fire investigators in Colchester say a barn fire that broke out off the coast of Malletts Bay earlier this week was ignited by children playing in the abandoned structure.
Vermont State Police officials declined to name the juveniles involved in setting the blaze and did not say whether they are expected to be charged.
Malletts Bay firefighters received a call around 2 p.m. Tuesday for a brush fire on West Lake Shore Drive. Upon their arrival, fire crews found that an barn next to the Mallets Bay Cemetery had caught fire.
It took nearly an hour to extinguish the flames, which sent a plume of black smoke into the air that was visible throughout much of Chittenden County.
No injuries were reported. The barn was a total loss.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.