Guilford barn catches fire


GUILFORD >> A barn housing a commercial glassblowing workshop caught on fire Tuesday morning.

"There were no injuries at all. There was pretty extensive damage done to the second floor," said Dan Stoughton, a Guilford Fire Department firefighter and incident commander at the scene. "The fire was all contained to the second floor. It was a good aggressive interior attack, which basically held the fire in place."

The fire appeared to have started around the chimney and was not considered suspicious, said Stoughton. The state's fire marshal will be looking at the incident being that it was a commercial property.

Stoughton did not know the name of the owners. No one was home at the time of the fire. A friend was at the scene checking out the damage.

An online search of the 90 Stinchfield Drive address came up with Peter Muller as owner of the property. He runs Afternoon Glass Design.

The majority of the building was saved, said Stoughton. The fire was knocked down in about a half an hour.

"It's salvageable," he said.

The call came in just before 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Stoughton said, showing the Reformer the backside of the building where a hole had visibly burned through the wall. That's where the fire was mostly kept to during firefighting efforts. Inside, other damage was visible.

"Our initial concern was there were some hazardous materials in the building. But they were used for the glassblowing process," said Stoughton. "The challenge was getting here with the hills and the slippery roads because of the weather. The cold weather is always a challenge, keeping hoses from freezing and keeping trucks from freezing."

Assisting at the scene were departments from Guilford, Brattleboro and Bernardston, Mass. Stoughton said Rescue Inc. stood by with ambulances.

Contact Chris Mays at or 802-254-2311, ext. 273.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions