Letter Box


Editor of the Reformer:

I am writing this letter in appreciation for the amazing volunteer effort of the United Way Adult Dental Clinic. The process was really well executed and I was able to receive dental car that was essential to my well being.

I want to thank everyone of the beautiful human beings who shared their Saturday to help so many people. LIVE UNITED.

Susan J. Zumbruski

Brattleboro, May 5 ***

Editor of the Reformer:

I want to thank everyone who participated in the fundraiser for the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and the Wildlife Conservation Society held on Thursday, April 24, in Bellows Falls. The sponsors were Rockingham Arts and Museum Project (RAMP), the Windham County Humane Society, and Chroma. Many contributors, participants, and volunteers took part in this event because they heard about the plight of African elephants and wanted to support them. There were several donations by individuals who could not attend.

The evening was very memorable because of the stunning "safari" tent environment the Windham Antique Center created, the delicious catered and donated food, the story from Out of Africa that was read by Abby Jones, and so many more details that came together so well. And of course there was the movie, Out of Africa, which started with ivory tusks being loaded on a train to Nairobi, and ended with a brooch adorning Karen Blixen’s jacket -- a elephant carved out of ivory. The trouble with ivory is -- only elephants should wear it!

Besides being a delightful evening, the fundraising goal was met. Anyone wishing to contribute please go to these websites: www.davidsheldrickwildlifetrust.org and www.wcs.org.

Amie Walter, event organizer

Bellows Falls, May 6


Editor of the Reformer:

The last weekend of February, my wife and I came to Vermont from New York City to visit our son at Landmark College in Putney. I went to the emergency room at Brattleboro Memorial Hospital on Saturday, March 1, where I was diagnosed with cellulitis in my left leg and foot and ordered two days of out-patient antibiotic infusions. On Monday, March 3, I was admitted to the hospital for stronger infusions. Seven days later I was released.

Once back in New York City, I saw my doctor and stayed home with my leg elevated for five weeks. The visiting nurse service came three times a week to dress my leg. My doctor and the visiting nurse service have now signed off on my as my outer skin has healed. My blood sugar levels are now in the normal stage. Now comes the longer period of rebuilding my stamina and strength. I am taking it slowly so as not to have any setbacks.

We were very grateful for the extraordinary care and support my wife and I received at a very scary time for us, especially far from home.

Paul L. and Mary C. Johnson,

New York City, May 6


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions