Marquette, LSU pull off upsets


PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Freshman Henry Ellenson had 13 points, 10 rebounds and four blocked shots, swatting away Kris Dunn's attempted buzzer-beater to lead Marquette to a 65-64 victory over No. 8 Providence on Tuesday night.

Duane Wilson scored on a layup with 31 seconds left to give Marquette (11-4, 1-2 Big East) the 65-64 lead. The Golden Eagles avoided opening the conference schedule with three straight losses for the first time since joining the Big East in 2005.

Ben Bentil scored 28 points, including 14 straight for the Friars in a key second-half run, and added nine rebounds for Providence (14-2, 2-1), which had won eight straight. Dunn had 20 points, seven assists, five rebounds and five steals for the Friars, who had climbed to their highest ranking in The Associated Press Top 25 since 1977.

LSU 85, No. 9 KENTUCKY 67

Tim Quarterman had 21 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists and Craig Victor added 15 points and 12 rebounds for LSU.

Ben Simmons added 14 points and 10 rebounds for the Tigers (9-5, 2-0 Southeastern Conference), who never trailed after tying the game at 2 and kept their lead at or near double digits for much of the game to the delight of a packed and energized Pete Maravich assembly Center.

Tyler Ulis had 23 points and Jamal Murray added 21 for Kentucky, (11-3, 1-1), which lost for the third time in seven games and had their 22-game SEC winning streak snapped.

The Wildcats struggled with their shooting early and later were hampered by foul trouble. Starting forwards Marcus Lee and Alex Poythress both fouled out by the time 7:29 remained in the game.

No. 18 BUTLER 77, DEPAUL 72

Kellen Dunham snapped out of his shooting slump with 24 points for Butler.

The Bulldogs (12-3, 1-2) put four players in double figures in their first Big East win after consecutive losses to No. 8 Providence and No. 10 Xavier. Andrew Chrabascz added 16 points, Roosevelt Jones scored 15 and Kelan Martin had 12 points, including a poster-worthy dunk over DePaul's Darrick Wood in the second half.

Dunham was 8 for 14 from the field and 4 for 7 3-point range in his return to the starting lineup after coach Chris Holtmann tried using his leading scorer off the bench in Saturday's 88-69 loss to the Musketeers. The senior guard made just 14 of 72 shots over his previous six games.

Myke Henry had 22 points and 10 rebounds for DePaul (6-9, 0-3), which has dropped three straight and six of seven. Tommy Hamilton IV added 19 points and nine rebounds, and Wood scored 15 points.

No. 19 IOWA 77, NEBRASKA 66

Jarrod Uthoff had 25 points, eight rebounds and four blocks as Iowa won its fifth straight.

Mike Gesell had 22 points and 10 assists for his first career double-double with the surging Hawkeyes (12-3, 3-0 Big Ten). They have victories in nine consecutive league games dating to last season.

Tai Webster scored 22 points and Shavon Shields had 13 for Nebraska (8-8, 0-3). The Cornhuskers shot 59 percent in the second half but still lost their third straight.

The Hawkeyes surged into the Top 25 on Monday after beating two ranked teams, including then-No. 1 Michigan State, in the same week for the first time since 1987.


Sindarius Thornwell scored a season-high 22 points for South Carolina in the Gamecocks' Southeastern Conference opener.

Sporting their highest AP ranking in 18 years, the Gamecocks (14-0, 1-0) lost most of an 18-point first-half lead before building it back with inside baskets and foul shots.

Thornwell made 5 of 8 3-point attempts and produced his season-high point total for the second straight game after scoring 18 against Memphis.

Laimonas Chatkevicius added 12 points and 10 rebounds for South Carolina. Duane Notice and Michael Carrera both scored 12 and Marcus Stroman had 10.

The Tigers (7-6, 1-1) kept it close largely with Tyler Harris' inside play and Kareem Canty's five 3-pointers. Harris was 10 of 13 from the field for 22 points and Canty scored 21 points and had five assists.

TEMPLE 55, No. 23 UConn 53

Josh Brown hit a spinning jumper in the lane with 2.5 seconds left to give Temple the win.

The Owls (7-6, 2-1 American Athletic Conference) led by as many as eight points in the second half, but were tied after two free throws from UConn's Daniel Hamilton.

Coach Fran Dunphy called a timeout with 14 seconds left to set up a final shot that was supposed to go to leading scorer Quenton DeCosey. But Brown took a pass from Jaylen Bond and made his move over UConn's Sterling Gibbs.

A desperation 3-pointer by Gibbs at the buzzer was well off the mark.

DeCosey scored 15 points to lead the Owls. Devin Coleman added 14 points, while Brown and Jaylen Bond each had 11.

Shonn Miller scored 18 points to lead the Huskies (10-4, 1-1), who had won five straight.

The win was the 200th at Temple for Dunphy and the Owls' second in three games against a ranked team.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions