Morris dancers converge on area this weekend for 38th Ale
WINDHAM COUNTY -- Every Memorial Day weekend since 1976, Morris Dancers from around the United States, Canada and England have gathered at Marlboro College in Marlboro to celebrate at an invitational Whitsun-type Ale (a traditional springtime gathering of British folk dancers).
These teams, or "sides" of dancers and musicians then travel throughout Brattleboro on Saturday and Windham County on Sunday to perform their various styles of Morris Dancing, including Cotswold, Border, Clog, Rapper and Sword, with women’s, men’s and mixed gender teams.
This year’s ale will be the 38th such gathering and organizers are looking forward to another year of fabulous music and dance.
The weekend schedule is as follows:
Saturday, May 25
* 3 to 3:40 p.m. -- Various locations around downtown Brattleboro
* 5 p.m. -- Elliot Street in Brattleboro.
Sunday May 26
* 11:30 a.m. -- Whetstone Inn in Marlboro and Dutton Farm Stand in West Brattleboro
* 11:45 a.m. -- Crafts Inn in Wilmington
* Noon -- The Marina Restaurant in Brattleboro
* 12:15 p.m. -- Putney Garden/Putney Co-op
* 3 p.m. -- I-91 VT Welcome Center and Saxtons River Historical Society
* 3:30 p.m. -- Valley Cares in Townshend and Dutton Farm Stand in Newfane
* 5 p.m. -- Newfane Courthouse
This year’s roster includes the following teams: And Sometimes Y Manx, Morris and Sword (Western Massachusetts), Berkshire Bedlam Morris (Berkshire, UK), Foggy Bottom Morris Men (Washington, D.C.), Guiding Star Clog Morris (Greenfield, Mass.), Half Moon Sword (New York City), Jack in the Green Morris Men (Monadnock region of New Hampshire), Marlboro Morris Men (Western Massachusetts), Marlboro Morris and Sword (Marlboro), Muddy River Morris (Boston), Orion Longsword (Eastern Massachusetts), Pinewoods Morris Men (Boston), Ring O’Bells Morris (New York City), Rock Creek Morris Women (Washington, D.C.), Thames Valley International (here, there and everywhere), Toronto Morris Men (Toronto, Ont.), Toronto Women’s Sword (Toronto, Ont.), Wake Robin Morris (Amherst, Mass.)
For more information, visit www.marlboromorrisale.org.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.