BRATTLEBORO >> On March 7, officers with the Brattleboro Police Department were conducting foot patrols in the southern downtown area when they observed suspicious activity.
As a result, Daniel Silverman, 44, and Monica Bacon, 41, both of Brattleboro, were arrested and cited with possession and sale of heroin.
According to Captain Mark Carignan, the area near the parking garage, the bridge to the Brattleboro Food Co-op, and nearby parking lots and alleys are frequently identified by citizens, community leaders, and police as an area where perceptions of safety are lower and quality-of-life crimes exist. As a result, those areas have been targeted with higher levels of patrols.
"A high priority of the Brattleboro police department is to strategically deploy our officers to problem areas," stated Carignan, in a press release. "Our officers spend the majority of their time outside of the police station patrolling these areas."
Carignan stated the arrests were a result of the Brattleboro Police Department's targeted foot patrol strategy.
"This case is just one example of the dedication of our police officers to make our community a safe and comfortable place to be. Command level initiatives, coordinated by mid-managers and street supervisors, and carried out by patrol officers all aim toward this common goal. This case is an example of our ongoing efforts and success."
• Officers with the Brattleboro Police Department responded to a business on Elliot Street for a report of a theft. Following an investigation, Brandy Jordan, 29, of Brattleboro, was cited with retail theft.
• At 7:15 p.m., the Vermont State Police conducted a motor vehicle stop in Brattleboro. As a result, Thomas Stafford, 38, and Justine Pond, 26, both of Brattleboro, were taken into custody and cited with possession of heroin.
• At 10:10 p.m., the Vermont State Police conducted a motor vehicle stop near the Exit 3 Roundabout in Brattleboro. As a result, Torren R. Boyd, 34, of Brattleboro, and Jeannette Burgess, 30, of Vernon, were arrested and cited with possession of marijuana and cocaine.
• At 7:50 p.m., the Vermont State Police conducted a motor vehicle stop on Route 11 in Londonderry. As a result, Skylar Howe, 23, of Chester, was arrested and cited with driving under the influence.
• The Brattleboro Police Department arrested Phyllis Parent, 26, of Brattleboro, and cited her with violating an abuse prevention order.
All persons named in the Police Log are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If you've appeared in the Police Log, and the charges were later dropped or dismissed, and you would like a follow-up to appear in print, please contact the Reformer newsroom at 802-254-2311, ext. 215, or email@example.com.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.