Rebel girls soccer team defeats Eagles


ARLINGTON -- Deadlocked at 0-0 almost midway through the second half, Leland & Gray junior defenseman Emily Thibault lofted a shot from outside the box that floated over Arlington keeper Whitney Walsh's head to put the Rebels on top, 1-0.

Thibault jogged back to midfield, a smile on her face, as her teammates swarmed her along the way.

"It was amazing," said Thibault of the feeling after the goal. "I was so happy and my team was really happy, too."

The Rebels went on to defeat the Eagles, 2-0, and improved to 1-2 overall.

A couple of minutes after Thibault split the posts -- with 21:12 remaining in the game -- forward Ashley Bates crossed a shot from the left wing that found the back of net to give Leland & Gray an insurance goal.

"This was a really good complete game for them," said Leland & Gray coach Lucas Bates. "We played really good defense as well as really good offense, possessed the ball at midfield and it was nice to see."

About midway through the first half, Arlington's Molly Elwell launched a nice shot on goal, bending it toward the upper right corner. But Leland & Gray goalie Elizabeth Gallup timed it perfectly, jumping up in time to knock the ball over the net.

The two teams battled for possession in the first half and although Arlington had more scoring opportunities, they were unable to capitalize.

Leland & Gray came out strong at the beginning of the second half, controlling possession of the ball and getting shots off on goal.

Early on, forward Stevie Roberts fired a shot that hit post. She rushed in for the rebound, but Walsh -- who was playing in place of starting goalie Hannah Andrew who was not at the game -- smothered the ball to keep the game tied nil-nil.

About seven minutes later Roberts hit a header, feeding junior midfielder Emily Stockwell who fired on goal only to see her shot sail wide left.

Midway through the second half, though, the Eagles began to come alive, dominating possession of the ball and getting some good looks at goal.

With about 17 minutes left to play in the game Arlington fired a shot that struck off the post, but Gallup quickly gobbled it up to keep the 2-0 lead in place.

"It's kind of frustrating you know you dominate a game like and you lose. You lose 2-0," said Arlington coach Dan Wood. "We just don't seem to finish well as a team. We get up there in front of the goal, we shoot it and everybody stands and watches. Even that one nice shot we had. It hit the post and everybody's just standing watching it. Nobody went in to get the rebound."

Arlington had another chance a few minutes later when Elwell set up junior Julia LaCoste, but her shot sailed wide right of the goal. Walsh -- a freshman -- tallied 10 saves on the afternoon and Gallup had 12 for Leland & Gray.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions