Vermont man charged in fatal shooting seeks home detention
BURLINGTON, VT. >> A Burlington man charged in the shooting death of a New York City man wants a judge to release him to home detention.
WPTZ-TV reports that 24-year-old Chavis Murphy was back in a Burlington court last week for a motion hearing on a request to be released home.
Murphy has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the Dec. 27 death of 28-year-old Obafemi Adedapo. Authorities said Adedapo was shot after a bar dispute over a woman.
Murphy has been held without bail since his December arrest.
His attorney has said Murphy would stay in Huntington with family if he's granted home detention. Prosecutors said Murphy poses a risk to public safety and could flee.
The judge says she'll be sending letters to lawyers in the coming weeks.
Information from: WPTZ-TV, http://www.thechamplainchannel.com
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.