VTC casting for ‘Deathtrap’
BRATTLEBORO -- The Vermont Theatre Company announces auditions for Ira Levin’s comic thriller "Deathtrap," on Saturday at noon, and Monday, Feb. 4, at 7 p.m., in the Brattleboro Union High School Auditorium. Enter through the front doors of the auditorium.
Actors will be given a short time to prepare readings of scenes from the play. A copy of the play is available at the Brooks Memorial Library for perusal. If you would like to audition but are unavailable on the scheduled dates or have any other questions, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
From playwright and author Ira Levin, "Deathtrap" follows the story of Sidney Bruhl, a playwright specializing in comic thrillers. Bruhl is stuck in a career slump. Out of the blue, he receives a manuscript from Clifford Anderson, a former student of his. Anderson’s play, "Deathtrap," is a comic thriller sure to be a hit, and Bruhl begins to hatch a plot to steal the work. Set in the living area of Bruhl’s home, Levin’s 1978 Broadway smash is by turns wickedly funny and chillingly surreal.
VTC’s production runs May 17-19 and 23-26.
Roles available include:
* Sidney Bruhl, male, early 50s to mid-60s. Cynical and cunning, with a unique sense of humor.
* Myra Bruhl, female, mid-40s to late 50s. Sidney’s wife, meek and anxious, but willing to assist Sidney by any means.
* Clifford Anderson, male, early 20s to mid-30s. Intelligent, handsome, perceptive and a promising writer.
* Helga ten Dorp, female, late 50s to 70. The Bruhls’ new neighbor, a world-famous psychic.
* Porter Milgrim, male, mid-40s to 60. The Bruhls’ lawyer.
Director is Ben Stockman.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.