Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

BRATTLEBORO — Two occupants of a mobile home escaped a fire that destroyed the building with no injuries.

Brattleboro Fire Chief Len Howard said one of the occupants was setting off fireworks inside.

“The good thing is everyone is all right,” he said Sunday.

At about 1 a.m. Saturday, the Brattleboro Fire Department was dispatched to a first-alarm fire at 21 Crescent Drive. A police officer on patrol arrived on scene to report a fully involved mobile home fire, according to a news release.

Capt. Jason Davis ordered a second alarm to be dispatched. He reported a 14-foot by 70-foot mobile home fully involved along with a brush fire in the woods behind the home and one-passenger vehicle on fire.

“Crews made an initial attack on the mobile home and knocked down the bulk of the fire; crews were then able to separate and continue to control the mobile home fire and contain the brush fire,” the news release states.

Members of the Brattleboro Fire Department responded to a two-alarm fire at Black Mountain Trailer Park, in Brattleboro, Vt., just before 1 a.m. on Saturday, April 10, 2021.

The incident was reported under control at 1:37 a.m. The department called the mobile home “a total loss.”

Support our journalism. Subscribe today. →

“The passenger vehicle sustained significant damage, and the brush fire was approximately three-quarters of an acre,” the release states.

The Brattleboro Fire Department Fire Investigation Team is conducting an investigation.

Assisting agencies on the scene were the Brattleboro Police Department, Rescue Inc., Brattleboro Water Department, Green Mountain Power and Tri-Park Corporation. Mutual aid towns on the scene were Putney and Keene, N.H. Mutual aid departments covering Brattleboro stations included Hinsdale, N.H, Guilford, Westminster and Chesterfield, N.H.

Russ Grabiec, a neighbor in the park who filmed video of the incident, said he had been listening to sounds outside when he heard pops that sounded like fireworks.

“But I wasn’t sure,” he said. “I got dressed and went outside. This house was fully engulfed at just about 1 o’clock in the morning.”

He said two dogs also made it out all right.

Ed Lucken, another neighbor, also heard what sounded like fireworks and called 911.

“It went out pretty quick,” he said of the fire. “It didn’t take too long.”