Police: Brattleboro shooting linked to card game

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

BRATTLEBORO — A construction worker is being held without bail after shooting a co-worker after a card game went wrong, according to police.

Emanuel R. Tenner III, 22, of Natchez, Miss., pleaded not guilty to attempted second-degree murder, aggravated assault with a weapon and reckless endangerment during an arraignment held by video conference Monday.

The Brattleboro Police Department responded to the backside of the Econo Lodge on Canal Street at about 7:52 p.m. Saturday for a report of gun shots being fired, according to an affidavit filed by Brattleboro Police Det. Colby Kerylow. Kerylow said officers at an unrelated call in the nearby Market 32 parking lot went to the area where gunshots were heard and found Charlie Clark III, 25, with a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Clark was transported to Brattleboro Memorial Hospital and a silver revolver was seized, states the affidavit. Kerylow said he spoke with Clark briefly before he was taken to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. Attempts to get a status on Clark's condition were unsuccessful.

Clark described a disagreement over money leading to a physical altercation, according to the affidavit. He told Kerylow both parties went for a gun and he tried to break up the fight before he was shot. Clark also is from Mississippi, Police Lt. Bob Perkins previously told the Reformer

Two other co-workers from the Interstate 91 bridge project in Rockingham told police there had been an argument outside the motel. One co-worker said a poker game was being played in the parking lot, according to the affidavit.

Article Continues After Advertisement

Sededrick T. Flowers told police Tenner is "kin" to him. He said a man put down a $20 bill and Flowers put down a $5 bill then Tenner stated the $5 was his, creating an altercation between Flowers and Tenner.

Flowers said he went into his room and his brother closed the door after assuming Tenner was going to get a gun when Tenner told Clark to go unlock the car, according to the affidavit. Flowers told police he had his gun in his pant pocket when Tenner came to his room and started knocking on the door and window.

Flowers told police when he left his room after Tenner stopped knocking, Tenner was still outside and holding a gun. Flowers described them getting into "a little tussle" then going their separate ways. He told police on the way back to his room, he turned his back to Tenner, who then started shooting at him.

Article Continues After These Ads

Tenner was nearly on the opposite side of the parking lot when he was shooting and he put three bullet holes in Flowers' van before running into the woods, Flowers told police. Kerylow said he observed those bullet holes and others in another car in the parking lot, and three boxes of ammunition in the car registered to Clark.

After watching video surveillance, Kerylow confirmed seeing the two men grabbing at each other and Tenner firing his handgun five times in the direction of Clark and Flowers. Kerylow noted small children and other bystanders were in an area just a few rooms away from where the incident occurred. He said they frantically ran into their rooms.

Tenner waived his Miranda rights at the Brattleboro police station, according to the affidavit. In a sworn video recorded statement, he told police he and and Clark drove to the Econo Lodge from the Putney Inn, where they were staying.

Article Continues After Advertisement

Tenner said people were playing cards and placing bets, according to the affidavit. He told police at one point, there was a disagreement over money and Flowers went to his room after getting upset.

Tenner said Clark wanted to leave but Tenner wanted to get his cell phone from Flowers' room, according to the affidavit. Tenner told police he knocked on the door and Flowers was holding a handgun and tried to "pistol whip" him but Tenner blocked the strike.

Tenner said Flowers then grabbed Tenner by the front of the shirt and pointed the gun in his face, according to the affidavit. Tenner told police by that point, the two men made their way towards the parking lot and he was able to get away from Flowers.

Tenner said he acted in self defense and shot at Flowers five times with his own handgun, according to the affidavit. Tenner told police he did not mean to shoot Clark, who he said was his cousin from his father's side of the family.

"Tenner stated he ran away from the scene because he was scared," states the affidavit.

Reach staff writer Chris Mays at cmays@reformer.com and at @CMaysBR on Twitter.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions