Chimney fire destroys home

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

WINCHESTER, N.H. — A chimney fire destroyed a vacant home at 398 Scoefield Road on Saturday.

A worker cleaning up the property started a fire in a fireplace inside and soon saw a wall was on fire, said Winchester Fire Chief Barry Kellom, who was first on scene.

"We had heavy showing from this front side second floor window and basically where that chimney pipe is," he told the Reformer.

He said he believes the property had been auctioned off or foreclosed.

Initially, firefighters "did a quick exterior attack to knock the fire down," said Kellom, who called for firefighters to evacuate the building out of worry that the roof would fall in due to the duration of the fire.

He said a third alarm was struck because of a lack of water. That prompted the arrival of more water tankers on scene.

The building is considered a total loss.

Departments responded from the New Hampshire towns of Winchester, Hinsdale, Swanzey, Richmond and Chester, and the Massachusetts towns of Northfield and Warwick.



If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions