Fire at Mount Snow takes out carpentry shop, snowmaking controls
This story was updated at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday
WEST DOVER — A fire ripped through a mountain operations building at Mount Snow on Tuesday night.
"It looks like it started in the carpentry shop," Erik Barnes, general manager of the resort, said at the scene just before 11 p.m. "But we don't have any definitive answers yet."
At the time, West Dover Fire Chief Rich Werner said it was "way too early" to know the cause. Firefighters were still putting out hot spots inside the building, which is in the parking lot at the base area.
Barnes said no one was inside when the fire started. He did not know how it came to be reported.
"We lost the carpentry shop, snowmaking controls, electrical, plumbing, offices," he said. "Vehicle maintenance also is going to be affected."
Firefighters from towns including West Dover, East Dover, Wilmington, Readsboro, Brattleboro, Newfane, Brookline, Guilford, Stamford, Stratton, Wardsboro and West Dummerston were at the scene along with Deerfield Valley Rescue.
Just after noon Wednesday, Mount Snow spokesman Jamie Storrs said the fire marshal and insurance adjuster were on site. He did not have an estimate for the damage, a cause nor a plan for rebuilding but said visitors this summer or winter should not have their experiences affected.
"We're weighing some options for the future now," he said. "We'll have more to announce when we come up with plans."
Storrs said the resort is looking at ideas that line up with its master plan. He noted that while snowmaking offices were housed in the building, much of the infrastructure had been moved out when West Lake was built to improve snowmaking capabilities in 2017.
"There are no pumps," he said. "There was a control room in there but what's nice about our upgrade is all our snowmaking controls are in the cloud."
Storrs said the building mainly housed offices and administration, and employees working there were relocated Wednesday.
"A lot of them came out last night to see some of the fire once word got out on social media," he said. "We're very lucky nobody got hurt. We had an incredible response from our mutual aid departments from as far as Stamford and Guilford. We'd like to thank them all for leaving their family dinners and coming into the night to save our building."
Storrs said firefighters were called to the scene a few minutes after 7 p.m. and stayed until just past 2:30 a.m.
Reach staff writer Chris Mays at email@example.com, at @CMaysBR on Twitter and 802-254-2311, ext. 273.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.