Flames burst through house roof

Posted
Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

WEST DOVER — Flames could be seen coming from the roof of a home at 19 Barber Road on Sunday night.

Ed Dornburgh, a patrol officer for the Dover Police Department, said he confirmed all occupants safely exited the home before firefighters arrived on scene. The house belongs to Edward and Sandra Barber.

West Dover Fire Chief Rich Werner said he believes the fire started in the chimney after occupants lit a fire on a fireplace or wood stove downstairs. Embers were heard coming down on the roof, prompting occupants to go outside, where they could see a fire on the roof.

The fire is not considered suspicious. Werner said the owners and downstairs tenant were displaced but had places to stay.

Smoke filled the air around the property at times as firefighters responded to the fire. The home is on a road near the Mount Snow Golf Club and Crosstown Trail.

Deerfield Valley Rescue and crews from fire departments in West Dover, East Dover, Wardsboro, Halifax, Wilmington, Readsboro and Whitingham were at the scene.

Stratton covered the West Dover fire station. NewBrook Fire Department covered East Dover fire station. Marlboro covered the Wilmington fire station.

"Everybody did a great job," Werner said. 

Reach staff writer Chris Mays at cmays@reformer.com and at @CMaysBR on Twitter.

Advertisements

TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.




Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions