Knit & Stitch doll raffle to be held at senior center
The Bellows Falls Area Senior Center has a very exciting raffle coming up just in time for the holidays. The Knit & Stitch group has put together an amazing doll set for one lucky winner. The winner will receive an 18-inch doll, handmade wooden bed, complete handmade wardrobe (winter coat and hat, pajamas, slippers and robe, dresses, etc.), a wheelchair, handmade blankets, doll-sized stuffed animals, and a handmade bag to keep all her clothes in as well. Tickets are $2 each, or six for $10 and can be purchased now at the Center, 18 Tuttle St., Bellows Falls. Winner will be drawn on Saturday, Dec. 7 at the Holiday Bazaar. The doll will be displayed at Our Gym in The Square.
The Knit and Stitch group meets Mondays and Wednesdays at 9 a.m. They can help you finish a project, repair an item, including hemming an item or sewing on buttons, and they even take on special projects such as baby blankets and gifts.
Other activities and announcements from the Senior Center:
- There is a new Tai Chi for Fall Prevention class, a start-up class for beginners (Level 1) from 9 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. every Friday beginning this Friday. Tai Chi has ancient origins and is about slow movements and deep breathing. It can help build strength and improve balance. Movements are gentle and suitable for all abilities. There is no charge. The group is ongoing, and newcomers are welcome to drop in any time to see what we do.
- Tai Chi Level II will be held Thursdays from 12:15 to 1 p.m. Contact Susan at 802-376-5173 if you need more info.
- Treadmills and exercise bikes are available for use during Center hours.
- We are currently in need of a Bone Builders instructor to teach Mondays and Fridays from noon to 1. Anyone with six months of Bone Builders course experience can qualify as an instructor.
- The Center is looking for a quilting instructor to lead our quilting group, on the second Wednesday of the month from 9 to 11 a.m.
- Nickle Bingo is held every Tuesday starting at 12:30 p.m., with 20 games played.
- Croptober. There will be a Scrapbook Crop and Crafters Day Out Oct. 5 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Early bird fee (postmarked by Sept. 23) $15 per person; fee after Sept. 23 is $20 per person. Included in your fee: workspace, New CM catalog (when available), use of our tools, our assistants, refreshments. What to bring: scrapbook, refill pages, pictures, adhesives, tools, other cropping materials such as paper, cardstock, crafting supplies and a bag lunch (we will have access to a microwave). Everyone who preregisters by Sept. 23 will be entered into a
drawing for a prize (at least a $12 value). We will also be offering a Just Because cards Kit Class at 2 p.m. You will get to make 13 cards for $25. That is less than $2.50 a card. Think how special your friends and family will feel when they receive a handmade card (you will only need to bring your own adhesive, tape runner and glue). You don't have to attend the all day event; you may register for just the card class. There will be some special ways to win prizes throughout the day as well. So, pack up your projects, grab a friend and come join in on a day of great conversation, laughs, wonderful ideas, sharing and you may even get a project or two finished up. To stay up to date on our future events please like and follow our Facebook page at: facebook.com/cmAdvisorTinaWhite.
- Have questions about Medicare Open Enrollment? Patti Kimball from Senior Solutions will be here on Sept. 16 for a presentation and to answer your questions.
- On Tuesday, Oct. 15, we head to The Aqua Turf in Connecticut for a day of live music with the Polka Family Band. Cost is $65 per person and includes transportation, coffee, donuts, door prizes, a complimentary glass of wine or beer, family style Polish dinner and live music. The center van leaves at 8 a.m. and space is limited.
The Bellows Falls Area Senior Center is open to local seniors aged 50 and over. We do not charge membership fees so feel free to drop in and check us out. We serve a hot lunch Monday through Friday starting at 11:30 a.m. Lunch includes entr e, starch, vegetable, roll and butter, desert and beverage for a suggested donation of $3.50 for seniors over 60, and a fixed price of $5 for those under 60. Check out the menu on Facebook.
The senior center is at 18 Tuttle St. in Bellows Falls. We offer accessibility in the forms of a lift and ramps, and we have plenty of free parking. Contact us for further information at 802-463-3907.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.