UPDATE: Assault suspect held without bond following 12-hour manhunt


BELLOWS FALLS — Before being shot at by a Vermont State Trooper and grazed by a bullet, John-Victor Wetherby. 33, of Bellows Falls, pointed a firearm at a trooper. According to information released at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, the trooper fired several shots at Wetherby before he was taken into custody.

Wetherby is being held without bail at Southern State Correctional Facility in Springfield on charges of aggravated assault and violation of probation arising from a 2018 conviction for reckless endangerment.

According to Bellows Falls Police Chief Ron Lake, officers responded to Hyde Street at 1 p.m. on Friday for the report of an assault. The victim told police he was visiting a house on Hyde Street to check up on it while the owner is out of town when he was assaulted and stabbed multiple times with a sharp object. The victim also told police that John-Victor Wetherby, 33, of Bellows Falls, struck him with what he believed was a baseball bat.

Through a photo lineup, the victim identified Wetherby as his assaulter.

With the help of the Vermont State Police, the Chester Police Department and the Walpole, N.H., Police Department, a search was started. At about 11 p.m. Friday, BFPD's K-9 Caesar alerted to a track in the snow. Officers followed the track for nearly two miles before entering a vacant house at 22 Cota Heights Road, where the confrontation occurred.

The exact number of shots fired and additional details regarding the incident remain under investigation.

Article Continues After These Ads

Wetherby had been wanted by police since March 2, when he allegedly assaulted a Wesminster man. The victim of that assault sustained life-threatening injuries and was transported to Brattleboro Memorial Hospital for treatment. The victim of the assault on Friday was first transported to Springfield Hospital before being taken to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H. His condition is unknown at this time.

Police believe Wetherby has been hiding out at the home on Hyde Street since at least March 2.

The Bellow Falls Police Department also received assistance from the Bellows Falls Fire Department and Golden Cross Ambulance.

"We would like to thank all the agencies for their help and cooperation," said BFPD Chief Ron Lake.

An investigation into the officer-involved shooting is in its earliest stages by the Vermont State Police Major Crime Unit and Bureau of Criminal Investigations. Per policy, the trooper involved has been placed on paid administrative leave for a minimum of five days, and then the trooper will return to work on administrative duty status. The trooper's name is being withheld at this time, as is standard practice. The State Police investigation will be independently reviewed by the Vermont Attorney General's Office and the Windham County State's Attorney's Office to determine whether the use of force was appropriate.

The Bellows Falls Police Department is continuing its investigation into the assault on Hyde Street on Friday.

Bob Audette can be contacted at 803-254-2311, ext. 151, or raudette@reformer.com.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions