TOWNSHEND — The West River Community Project has launched its new not-for-profit, West River Community Market. This online market has evolved directly from the local food ordering service that WRCP has been offering over the last few months, and allows community members to safely purchase local food and products online while supporting Townshend Farmers Market vendors, and many other local producers in the area.
WRCP's goals as a non-profit are to support small local farmers and improve accessibility to high quality food grown in the West River Valley. The organization is partnering with the Townshend Farmers Market by providing community members a way to pre-order products from the farmers' market for curb-side pick up on Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The deadline to order is Wednesday by 11:59 p.m. Orders will be brought to you in your vehicle. Please wear a mask, have washed hands, and stay in your vehicle.
There are some changes to the existing local food market:
- The Community Market will now be available every week, as opposed to bi-weekly
- In order to make this operation sustainable, the WRCP is charging a "modest commission" to all vendors (comparable to how the farmers market works). In some cases, the prices for the products may be slightly higher (some vendors were charging wholesale prices previously); however, many of the prices will remain the same
- Customers can pay with SNAP/EBT, participate in the WRC-Pay It Forward Program (allows customers to either request or give financial scholarships from/to their neighbors), and by allowing customers to waive all handling fees for the WRCP.
- You can now pay online right when you make your order.
- You will immediately receive a receipt in your inbox with your order details.
- Choose "Cash on Delivery," during checkout, which means you can choose to pay in person with either card, check, or SNAP/EBT
- Each week the market will have a featured vendor. This week is Litchfield Homestead of West Townshend.